Archipelago Puerto Rico: [im]possible Abstractions
11 – 12 june 2021
Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico
Call for paper
Deadline for proposals: 15 May 2021
The Centre d’innovation d’éducation du Musée d’Art de Porto Rico (MAPR) in collaboration with the research platform Descentralized Modernities. Art, Politics and Counterculture in the Transatlantic Axis during the Cold War – MoDe(s) (HAR2017-82755-P) and YoSoyElOtro Association culturelle are pleased to invite artists, graduate and undergraduate students, art historians, curators, critics and researchers to submit proposals for presentations of their ongoing research in the framework of the 1st Conference on Art, Research and Multidisciplinary Creation entitled Archipelago Puerto Rico: [im]possible Abstractions. The conference will be held in virtual format on June 11 and 12, 2021 on the occasion of the exhibition […]ENTREFORMAS, curated by Abdiel D. Segarra Ríos.
The conference is an invitation to critically explore the contexts that have driven or affected the creation and reception of abstraction, in order to open a space for collective reflection and conversation on new historiographical approaches and new theoretical frameworks. The conference aims to open and stimulated the debate for researchers interested in these languages and their (re)reading(s).
The conference will focus on practices carried out in Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, Central America and their diasporas from 1950 to the present.
The following lines of work are proposed:
– Resignifications of the avant-garde: the political with abstraction and beyond
– Representations and identities: bodies, gender(s) and racializations
– Contaminations: art, popular culture, mass media and the digital panorama
– Exchanges: agents, networks and displacements
Key words: abstraction, avant-garde, diaspora, transnationality, networks, identity, gender, coloniality, cold war, globalization, curatorship, biennials
- Proposers must submit a two documents, firstly an abstract of no more than 500 words in length that should include the title of the presentation and five keywords and, secondly, a short CV of the proposer. Both documents should be sent to Raquel Torres Arzola to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject JORNADAS MAPR 2021. Deadline is May 15, 2021.
- Selected presentations will be organized in several working sections according to their topics, formats or discursive affinities. Selected presentations will be confirmed by Tuesday, May 25, 2021.
- The selection committee will be composed by Abdiel D. Segarra Ríos, guest curator of the exhibition […]ENTREFORMAS; Raquel Torres-Arzola, curator of education at MAPR, Dagmary Olívar Graterol, researcher and director of YoSoyElOtro Asociación Cultural, Olga Fernández López, professor at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid and member of the research project Modernidad(es) Descentralizada(s) and Melissa M. Ramos Borges, professor of Art History and Theory at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras and Mayagüez campuses.
- Presentations will take place via the virtual platform Zoom. It is the responsibility of the presenter to have the necessary technological equipment and internet connection for their respective presentation.
- Each presenter will have a total of 20 minutes of presentation time. If your presentation contains images, you must indicate the source of the image, respecting the copyright.
- The proposer must submit a written summary of his/her presentation to be published, which should not exceed five pages on double-spaced text in Times New Roman font, size 12. These five pages should include footnotes and references in MLA style. This abstract should be submitted to Raquel Torres Arzola to email@example.com with the title CONFERENCE ACTS on or before Friday, June 18.
- If the submission for publication includes images, these must be accompanied by the authorization of the artist or author of the work. The participant must provide written evidence of such authorization to the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico.
- Each selected proposer will receive an honorary payment of $125.00 (USD) for his/her participation. Residents of Puerto Rico must submit an invoice for professional services made payable to the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico along with a copy of their business registration; payment will be issued by check. International residents please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details for the issuance of their honorariums.
- For any questions please contact Raquel Torres Arzola at email@example.com or call 787-977-6277, x. 2257.
Download the call for papers.
The seminar is organized by Centre d’innovation d’éducation du Musée d’Art de Porto Rico (MAPR) in collaboration with the project Descentralized Modernities. Art, Politics and Counterculture in the Transatlantic Axis during the Cold War – MoDe(s) (HAR2017-82755-P) and YoSoyElOtro Association culturelle.